While I was in Edinburgh working my socks off for Theatre Re I was also dreaming up a series of workshops for Animikii theatre's Autumn season and here it is! 5 workshops that dive into each corner of our process and that aims to empower the individual artist with a practice they can call their own. The importance of creating a practice is massive, to sustain ourselves in quiet times between work, to prepare for upcoming work and to understand that the jobs that come along are not the end goal, they are markers along your road as an artist who is all the time honing a craft, deepening a relationship to self and the world.
so here we are -
1. RAW PHYSICALITY I We kick off the series with a dynamic physical session, opening up a space to identify where your habits are and seek to unblock the body. Reconnecting the imagination to the body, Reconnect each body part to the whole. We dedicate time here for you to discover your own raw physical presence on stage and within the ensemble.
2. RAW TEXT I How important is text and language within your practice? What is the relationship of body, voice and text?
Challenge your creative writing skills by building the important link between text, movement, voice and imagination. Discover your inner storyteller in a session that opens up the vital task of embodying text, what it is to witness a story and what words seek to find voice.
3. RAW VOICE I What is your relationship to your voice? Where does it lie within the pecking order of your practice and the work you'd like to make?
Having dived into the body & text we now dive into the voice in order to rediscover the relationship between the actor, breath, voice and its vast emotional world. Dive into the cracks, the wavering voice, the ugly voice. Use your entire body to carry vibration and discover your vocal monster.
4. RAW PRESENCE (AFTER MEISNER) I How do you listen within your work? What is it to see and be seen? to really listen?
This series is an examination of each part of your craft and so here we challenge your listening, reactivity skills and how we bring our presence to work. We challenge you to be seen without artifice, to shrug off politeness. As with all our work here at Animikii we take these ideas and put them into the body, voice, breath- We can listen with our ears but can we listen with our whole body?
5. RAW MATERIAL I Every artist has their raw material, whether it is paint, clay, your life story, your own body or voice. What is your Raw Material?
The series moves into the world of objects in a session that stretches how we create using material, challenging your imagination with devising using objects.Inspire your imaginative body and the artist inside you, the maker that is yet to be.
17th October 2019 (Royal Exchange, Manchester)
24th October 2019 (Hope Mill Academy, Manchester)
31st October 2019 (Hope Mill Academy, Manchester)
7th November 2019 (Hope Mill Academy, Manchester)
14th November 2019 (Royal Exchange, Manchester)
£60 (FULL SERIES)
£17.50 (PER SESSION)